HOW TO APPLY
The Emergent Fund is now accepting applications via the JustFund Portal, a new digital platform established by Solidaire Network and other funders to help connect social justice funders, foundations, and funds directly with grassroots organizations and urgent projects. Your proposal to the Emergent Fund will also be visible to other funders on the portal, meaning it is possible you may receive funding from other sources before we determine our grantees each funding cycle. In addition, if you receive an Emergent Fund grant, our endorsement may be leveraged to help you secure additional support.
Setting up your proposal:
- Visit justfund.us and click the Register as an Organization button to fill out your profile.
- You will receive an email confirming your registration within 24 hours with a username and temporary password, which you can change upon logging in under "Settings."
- Once you’ve received your login information, return to justfund.us and sign in. Click Create a New Proposal Draft to begin your application. You may save your proposal and continue to edit it at your leisure. Once you are ready to submit your proposal, click on Submit, and make sure to select Emergent Fund so that we know to review your proposal.
- If you have an existing proposal on the JustFund portal, simply log back in, make any edits you would like and click on Submit, selecting Emergent Fund.
- Once submitted, you will see that your proposal is now Live. This status means that your proposal has been submitted to Emergent Fund and that it is also visible to other funders who are using the portal.
Interacting with your proposal:
- You can use the Edit button to make changes to your proposal if necessary.
- The Resources button allows you to attach any existing documents you have that might be useful, such as an organizational budget or a fiscal sponsor agreement letter. You can also use this feature to attach links to videos on YouTube or Vimeo.
- The Interact button allows you to view your live proposal as funders see it and to engage in Community Activity. This feature will show you when a funder follows your proposal and track funding in real time! The comment section will also give you a chance to see questions and endorsements funders write, and to reply with answers or share updates. We encourage you to test this out!
- If you have questions, comments, or feedback on the portal, we’d love to hear from you! Please share your thoughts with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions specific to the Emergent Fund application process, please email email@example.com.
CRITERIA FOR FUNDING
There are two types of efforts we support, which distinguish an Emergent Fund grant from thousands other worthy projects and organizations:
Efforts that support emergent strategies that help communities respond to rapidly changing conditions. This includes resisting new or amplified threats and building power to move a proactive agenda.
Efforts seeking long-term social justice and economic justice in a political and social climate that seeks to dismantle such efforts.
Emergent work: New solutions responding to rapidly changing conditions in the current political environment
Visionary and Power Building: Seeks transformational systemic changes rooted in social and economic justice. Develops community power through organizing and/or leadership development (including through new tools), direct action, and/or cultural work
Leadership from affected communities
Intersectional Analysis: Engages multiple identities and multi-racial alliance building as core to theory of change
Endorsed: Recommended by a member of the Nominations Network
Right size of need: The level of Emergent Fund support is appropriate to the work
Proposals can be ideas, collaborations, campaigns, or organizations, whether or not they are fully formed; don't worry about your notes being perfect or comprehensive. All notes from your application will be shared with our Advisory Council for review.